Funding is one of the biggest issues for schools considering authors/illustrators visits. We receive lots of questions on this topic. With a little creativity – every school can host an author/illustrator. Here are our tips:
- Many authors offer Skype/Facetime visits at greatly reduced fees. This is a great option for authors outside of your immediate area. Technology has improved so much, there are very few technical issues/delays. A Skype visit can have a lasting impact on your students.
- Check with other schools in the area. Many authors/illustrators offer discounts if multiple schools schedule back-to-back visits. You may even be able to split a full-day visit between schools. If the visit involves travel, the more the merrier! The more schools on the schedule, the further travel expenses could be split between schools. It’s a win, win!
- Fundraise, fundraise, fundraise. For great ideas, check here.
- Stay in touch with local bookstores. They are often the first to know if and when authors will be in the area. The may also be able to help with fundraisers.
- Send a wish list out to families letting them know that you need help!
- Contact local businesses to ask for sponsorship and/or donations. Something as simple as a donated room at a local hotel or bed & breakfast can greatly reduce travel expenses for an event.
- Apply for a grant! There are wonderful grants available for visits. One of our favorite is Target. They start accepting grant applications in the spring. The application process takes about 15-minutes and the $2,000 grants are awarded in the fall.
Have other grant/funding ideas? We would love to hear from you. Let us know!!